Winchester Science Centre is changing
who we are, what we do and who we do it for.
1in5 is an ambitious £3.4m project that will transform Winchester Science Centre into a national beacon for accessibility in STEM and the benchmark science centre to promote inclusivity within our sector.
- create a brand new live science theatre and an improved and accessible planetarium experience, providing a stage for dynamic people-led engagement promoting STEM and accessibility.
- work with partners to raise awareness of accessibility in STEM through an inspiring sensory exhibition designed in collaboration with groups working across the disability spectrum, and a panel of young people from priority areas.
- engage new audiences – programming arts, science and social events in WSC’s new spaces to become a community hub, whilst showcasing best practice from STEM and other cultural sectors and promoting positive role models for accessibility.
- inspire new audiences through a targeted engagement programme, building long-term relationships to truly understand the needs of non-visitors from priority areas and those with an impairment.
- be a catalyst for our cultural change, incorporating new roles to facilitate further engagement with partners, supporting the aim of WSC becoming a sustainable national beacon for accessibility.
- provide a sustainable financial future by optimising internal spaces, and increasing and diversifying income streams.